The Next Schools Process
Advent has created a comprehensive, student-centered program for Sixth Graders and their families called Next Schools. Next Schools is a highly individualized approach to the middle school application process.
For many families and students, the Next Schools process can be an intimidating one. The Next Schools team of Advent’s Head of School, Nicole DuFauchard; Claire Price, Dean of Students; Doug Surgenor, Asst. Dir. of Enrollment Mgmt. & Next Schools Coordinator; and the Sixth Grade faculty is here to provide support to both Sixth Graders and their families throughout the entire seventh grade application process.
The Next Schools team is dedicated to finding the most appropriate and “best fit” school for Advent’s graduates that will further support their academic, social, and emotional growth.
The Next Schools process begins from Day 1 at Advent as teachers, administrators, and families work together to build a comprehensive understanding of every student. In Fourth and Fifth Grade, specific conversations occur as an introduction to the formal process.
Students and families participate in the year-long process that begins in the spring of the Fifth Grade year. The Next Schools team hosts group meetings to review deadlines and aspects of the process, including:
- individual family meetings to discuss what schools they are thinking about applying to and other schools they may consider
- conversations with Sixth Grade teaching teams
- mock interviews to hone student communication about their strengths and passions
- optional ISEE prep course instructed by Kaplan that occurs every Friday for the first eight weeks of school
- group tours of the Boston Public Schools Exam Schools for those families who live in Boston and are considering the exam schools for their family
- completion of application packets, including teacher and administrator recommendation forms, school report, and testing documentation
- a team approach to ensure each student and family understands all aspects of the process
The Next Schools Coordinator visits a variety of middle schools across the region to be able to offer Advent families up-to-date information so they can make informed decisions. The Coordinator’s recommendations are based off real experiences, giving families information to rely on beyond the school’s website or recruitment brochure.
Advent graduates go on to attend independent, exam, and public schools in the Greater Boston area. The Next Schools team is equipped to evaluate all of these options with students and their families to find the best fit for each Sixth Grader.